How To Identify And Get Rid Of A Termite Infestation In Your Salem County Home
May 15, 2023
Termites are one of the more concerning house pests that Salem County residents may have to deal with. Termites cause billions of dollars of damage to homes in the United States each year, and the average termite-related repair costs thousands of dollars.
If you need pest control in Salem County, call Preferred Termite and Pest Control. We can help you with termites.
What Are Termites?
Termites are colony-building insects that survive by feeding off of wood. Where ants have antennae that bend at an angle, termite antennae are straight. Termites shy away from bright light and build their colonies out of sight. They often access your home by using mud tubes that allow them to move from the ground to your home without having to come out into the light. Members of a termite colony have different roles. The queen is responsible for reproduction. Soldier termites protect the colony, and workers maintain the colony as a whole. All of this allows termite colonies to both survive and thrive.
If your home has termites, Preferred Termite and Pest Control can help. Contact us today for assistance with termites in Salem County.
How To Identify Signs Of Termite Damage
A termite problem can cause extensive damage to your home and property, and early identification is a great way to minimize how much damage they can cause.
Here are some ways to tell if you might have a termite infestation in your Salem County home:
- Holes in your walls: Termites can chew small holes in your walls while exploring.
- Leaks: Termites can cause leaks in your home if they damage the wood on the outside of your home.
- Sagging floors: If termites damage your house’s structure, your home’s floors can begin to sag.
- Misaligned windows/doors: As your home’s structure is damaged and your house begins to settle, doors and windows may stop functioning smoothly.
These are signs that termites may be in your home and causing damage. If you think that you may have termites, Preferred Termite and Pest Control experts can help you. Get in touch with us today for help with our effective termite control services in Salem County.
Factors That Attract Termites To Your Home
Termite removal can be difficult once they move in, and they will continue to damage your home. Because of this, it is best to avoid termites in the first place.
Here are some factors that draw termites to your house, and what to do about them:
- Stumps: Old tree stumps are highly attractive to termites. Remove tree stumps to avoid attracting termites to your property.
- Firewood: Storing firewood on the ground will eventually draw termites. Elevating firewood off of the ground can help decrease your chances of drawing termites.
- Yard trimmings: Termites are also drawn to piles of yard trimmings. Instead of piling them in your yard, promptly remove them to avoid attracting termites.
- Mulch: Mulch is an attractive addition to any landscaping, but it is also highly attractive to termites. Minimize the amount of mulch you use and do not place it close to your home.
These tips can help decrease your chances of having to deal with termites, but can’t guarantee that they still won’t come. If they do, Preferred Termite and Pest Control can come too — to get rid of your termite problem. Contact us today. We know how to get rid of termites.
What It Takes To Get Rid Of A Termite Infestation
Termites are difficult to address with DIY termite treatments, and the longer a termite infestation persists in your home the more damage it will cause. Preferred Termite and Pest Control professionals have all of the skills and experience we need to successfully address termite infestations. Call us today for help with termites and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Salem County.