Keeping Dangerous Rodents Out Of Your Salem County Home
January 15, 2023
Rodents enter our homes for a variety of reasons, but there is no reason we should share our space with them. Mice, rats, and squirrels belong outside, and an essential part of pest control in Salem County is figuring out how to keep them there. We can suggest preventative methods of rodent control to keep them out.
All types of rodents threaten our homes and the health and safety of our families. Having rats, squirrels, and mice in your house can make you sick and cause many problems. We are here to help you find the most effective rodent control to keep these dangerous rodents out of your home.
How To Identify Common Types Of Rodents
The most common types of rodents we find in our Salem country homes are Norway rats, mice, and squirrels. Here are some ways to identify which rodent has entered your home:
- Norway rats are nocturnal rodents, so you are less likely to see them. However, they do leave evidence around. You may find Norway rat droppings which are capsule shaped with blunt ends.
- Mice are also nocturnal and try to keep away from people. You may come across mouse droppings that are ⅛ to ¼ inch in length, rod-shaped, and pointed on the ends.
- Squirrels seek a warm place in the home, such as attics or inside the walls. You may hear scratching sounds from these rodents in walls or ceilings.
It is critical to get rid of rodents as quickly as possible, no matter what type you suspect in your home.
Rodents Can Spread Disease And Damage Property
Here are just some of the dangers of having rodents in your home:
- Inhaling the dust of dried mouse droppings can cause allergies and asthma flare-ups. Micro droplets of mouse urine can also cause allergies in children.
- Norway rats carry diseases such as salmonella, jaundice, and rat bite fever.
- All rodents carry parasites, such as ticks, lice, fleas, and mites, which introduce even more diseases to your home.
- Rodents spread multiple diseases when they get into your food and walk on counter surfaces.
- Rodents in walls can cause structural and cosmetic damage.
- Norway rats can chew through almost anything, including plastic and lead pipes, when searching for food and water.
- Mice and squirrels tend to chew on wires and can spark electrical fires.
- Rodents generally tear up anything they can find that will work for nesting material, including the stuffing in your furniture.
Rodents of any kind can potentially harm our family’s health and safety.
How And Why Rodents Find Their Way Into Our Homes
Rodents find their way into our homes for a few reasons. If the weather conditions are not favorable, they will enter our homes seeking shelter. Many rodents associate people with food and water, and if their supplies run low, they will move in and make themselves at home.
A hole as small as a dime is enough room to let mice in your house. Norway rats can squeeze into a space about the size of a quarter. Squirrels will use tree limbs and electrical lines to access your roof. A critical part of rodent control is sealing all entrances and making your home less attractive.
The Most Effective Rodent Control For Your Home
By far, the most effective rodent control is teaming up with a local company familiar with our area’s pests. Rodents cause tremendous amounts of damage and spread so many diseases. At Preferred Termite & Pest Control, our technicians are committed to helping you get rid of rodents and can explain how you can prevent them from returning.