What To Do About Rats On Your Salem County Property
February 16, 2022
Most people would not keep a rat as a pet. That isn’t to say that rats can’t make good pets, just that they aren’t generally loved by the public. Part of the reason for this is because of vermin rats. Vermin rats are any wild rat that invades human dwellings and causes trouble for homeowners. If you are worried about these furry pests around your property, you are in the right place. Here is everything you should know about rats in Salem County and what to do if they get into your home.
How To Tell If It Is A Rat Infestation On Your Property
Although rats are fairly large, they can be difficult to identify. If you suspect these pests are inside your home, the best thing to do is look for the signs they leave behind. Here are just a few signs of rats you should know about:
- Urine stains
- An ammonia smell in the air from urine
- Grease marks on floors and baseboards
- Gnaw marks on the legs of furniture
- Holes through walls and boxes
- Outlets not working
- Torn up fabric, paper, or insulation
- Nests inside boxes and other secluded areas
One thing to keep in mind is that rats reproduce quickly. It doesn’t take long for a few live rats to produce dozens of pink baby rats. If you find any signs of rats inside your home, make sure to address the problem before it gets out of hand.
Rats On Your Property Can Be Both Dangerous And Damaging
Rats are some of the most, if not the most, problematic pests in our area. Not only do these furry creatures make noise at all hours of the night, but they are also incredibly dangerous and destructive. Three ways that rats threaten homeowners are:
- By spreading harmful bacteria off their bodies and through their fecal droppings and urine.
- By biting and sometimes spreading diseases like rabies to humans and animals.
- By carrying disease-spreading pests like ticks and fleas indoors.
As for destruction, rats chew on everything. They chew holes through walls, gnaw on furniture, and even sever electrical wires from time to time. In addition, these pests tear up insulation, fabrics, and paper to build their nests. In short, rats are not creatures you want roaming freely inside your home.
Why You Should Call The Pros At The First Sign Of A Rat Infestation
Rats are not just dangerous and destructive; they are also difficult to eliminate. If you suspect live rats are crawling around inside your Salem County home, you need professional help to get them out. At Preferred Termite and Pest Control, we put our community first. Our commitment is to you and your protection from dangerous pests like rats. With just one service visit, we will identify the problem, put in place fast working elimination strategies, and establish a lasting barrier to keep pests like rats out in the future.
Four Effective Rodent Exclusion Tips To Keep Rats From Coming Back
Once rats are out of your home, the next step is making sure they don’t come back. Even if you invest in professional rodent control through Preferred Termite and Pest Control, we also recommend following these four bonus exclusion tips:
- Make sure your home’s exterior is properly sealed.
- Keep your living areas clean and tidy.
- Store all your leftovers, pantry items, and pet food inside airtight containers.
- Address moisture problems as they arise in and around your home.
Call today to discover what options you have for home pest control in Salem County and schedule your home for a pest inspection.