What are ants?
Ants are social insects that live and work together as a colony made up of hundreds of thousands of individuals. Some of the species we see most often here are:
- Carpenter ants - 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch long, red, black, or a combination of both
- Odorous house ants - 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch long, brown or black
- Pavement ants - 1/8 of an inch long, dark brown to black
- Pharaoh ants - 1/16 of an inch long, pale, yellowish body with a darker abdomen
Are ants dangerous?
Ants are dangerous for several reasons. While most species are considered nuisance pests, ants can cause contamination when they infest. However, some species are more dangerous than others.
Carpenter ants build their nests inside the wood, damaging and weakening the structure.
Pharaoh ants carry and spread pathogens such as streptococcus and salmonella. They are known for infesting hospitals where they contaminate IVs.
Why do I have an ant problem?
If you have ants in your home, there are food sources attracting them and entry points allowing them to get inside. Entry points can be in the form of damaged screens, gaps where utility lines enter the structure, and cracks in the foundation and walls. Food sources include crumbs, garbage, fruits, other insects, and more.
While carpenter ants consume the same foods as other species, they are likely in your house because of water-damaged or decaying wood.
Where will I find ants?
The most common place you'll find ants in homes is the kitchen. While this is the case, these pests might enter and travel up behind walls and under flooring, making identifying the entry point into a house difficult to find.
How do I get rid of ants?
The most effective way to get rid of an ant infestation is with professional ant control methods. Salem County residents can rely on our team of experts at Preferred Termite and Pest Control.
Our home pest control methods will help restore your home to an ant-free environment. Call today to learn more!
How can I prevent ants in the future?
To ensure your home remains ant-free, we want to provide you with these prevention tips:
- Remove the food sources mentioned above by regularly cleaning your kitchen and eating areas, storing produce in the refrigerator and dry goods in proper containers, and making sure your garbage cans have lids. You should also properly maintain gardens and remove fallen fruit from your yard.
- Seal and repair any potential entry points.
- Address any leaks and moisture issues, ensuring you completely dry affected areas.
Don't forget to reach out to us at Preferred Termite and Pest Control for commercial pest control for ants and any other pests in your Salem County business.
Recent Blog Articles
Picture this — you're settling down with a cup of coffee when a shadow dashes across the wall. It’s a spider!Read More
Rodents often invade homes during the autumn and winter. Read this article to get the jump on these pests and keep them from infesting your house.Read More
Don’t let ants invade. Keep them far away from your home, family, and pets with this rundown of effective ant control. Click here for more.Read More