What are termites?
The most common termites in Salem County are subterranean termites. These termites are a creamy white to a dark brown or black color and about 1/8 an inch long, but their size varies depending on the caste. Caste members have different roles in termite colonies, and they include soldiers, reproductives, and workers.
Are termites dangerous?
As mentioned above, termites can cause extensive damage to a home, and in severe cases, termites can cause collapses. Plus, the presence of subterranean termites in your home indicates water damage, which can also mean dangerous mold and fungus exists.
Why do I have a termite problem?
If you live in an older home or have experienced flooding or leaks, you are more vulnerable to termite infestations; this is one reason why you might have a termite problem. Other reasons may include:
- You are inviting them to your property with dead trees, stumps, uncovered wood piles, and mulch.
- There is excess organic debris in your yard.
- Your home’s foundation is touching dirt.
- There are cracks in your foundation.
Where will I find termites?
You should be able to find signs of subterranean termites around the foundation of your home. This type of termite needs to have constant contact with moisture, so they create mud tubes, which allow them to nest in the ground and travel to the wood they consume.
How do I get rid of termites?
Termites are not pests you can take care of on your own. Identifying them and assessing the damage they cause is hard enough, never mind implementing effective treatments. To remove termites from your Salem County property, contact us at Preferred Termite and Pest Control.
Correctly identifying the termite species you are dealing with is essential in order to remove them altogether. One of our expert termite inspectors will thoroughly look over your property to get a complete picture of your pest problem. We will implement the necessary treatments to get rid of your termite problem and help you take steps to prevent them from coming back again.
You can learn more about our termite control offerings by contacting us at Preferred Termite and Pest Control.
How can I prevent termites in the future?
The best way to protect your home from a future termite infestation is with regular inspections; however, it will also help to use the following prevention tips:
- Repair leaks, replace moisture barriers and remove organic debris from your yard.
- Replace any water-damaged wood.
- Create a barrier between your home’s foundation and soil using crushed rocks.
- Remove stumps and dead trees from your property.
- Fill any cracks that would allow termites to get inside.
- Regularly check for mud tubes around the foundation of your home.
These prevention tips will help eliminate conducive factors, but call us at Preferred Termite and Pest Control for assistance with home pest control in Salem County!