What are fleas & ticks?
Siphonaptera, simply known as fleas, are wingless parasitic insects that drink blood from humans and animals. There are over 2,500 species on earth. Infestations can start once they cling onto your clothes or the body of a domestic animal. They can also use exterior pests like rodents and squirrels as hosts. Suborder Ixodida, or ticks, are wingless and parasitic as well. However, they are arachnids. More than 800 classes exist. Their invasions start in a parallel fashion. Both fleas and ticks can transmit diseases, and they favor organic settings.
Are fleas & ticks dangerous?
Flea bites can lead to parasitic, bacterial illnesses, tapeworms, and typhus. Typically, there will be some skin inflammation or allergic reactions. Some of the conditions ticks are associated with are Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, Powassan virus, and tularemia. Infections are not an issue in every case, though.
Why do I have a flea & tick problem?
Should your property be close to a grassland or watery zone, fleas and ticks could be a problem for you. Having tall grass and abundant natural debris in your yard are factors as well. Poor pest control is definitely a contributor.
Where will I find fleas & ticks?
Fleas are usually less than 1/16 of an inch long and compact, and have shiny reddish-brown bodies. Outdoors, they’ll be around shady places that are profusely woody, grassy, or sandy. Watery environments are also comfortable for them, such as ditches, lakes, and ponds. These bugs will assemble near rocks, shrubs, and brush on our properties.
Ticks range in size quite a bit; some are smaller than 1/8 of an inch long, while others can be over 1/2 an inch, but most expand after consuming blood. Several are dark in color, and all have eight legs. You’ll come across them in densely vegetated spots with shade and humidity.
How do I get rid of fleas & ticks?
A lot of people rely on “do it yourself” methods and pesticides from stores to handle fleas and ticks. These pricey avenues usually fail because they cannot handle infestations. Moreover, they can be toxic. You need an affordable and highly effective home pest control solution that is also safe. We at Preferred Termite and Pest Control can provide that with our conscious industrial-grade flea control treatments. Our staff consists of expert technicians. Call us today to get started!
How can I prevent fleas & ticks in the future?
Following these useful tips can spare you the stress of fleas and tick infestations:
- Cut the grass and trim greenery on a routine basis.
- Remove debris from the lawn.
- Replace any soil with gravel on your property’s perimeter.
- Examine, cleanse, and brush your domestic animal’s fur regularly.
- Use tick repellent before going outside.
- Wear long shirts, pants, and socks with boots if you’re going into a sensitive area.
- Before coming indoors, inspect your clothes and skin and your pet’s fur.
- Talk about year-round flea management and treatment with a veterinarian.
- Check secondhand items, such as pet toys and bedding, for pests.
- Vacuum and wash rugs often.
- Contact Preferred Termite and Pest Control if you have critters that fleas and ticks will attack.
Reach out to our residential or commercial service technicians today and request your Salem County pest control estimate. When you partner with us, “The bugs stop here!”